DNS problems this morning - CORRECTION

lee lee at yun.yagibdah.de
Thu Nov 15 17:38:55 UTC 2012

Tim <ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au> writes:

> Allegedly, on or about 12 November 2012, lee sent:
>> If you're using a chaching name server, you might not want the
>> "search" option.
>
> You probably do.  It, or a similar option, will be used so that "ping
> hostname" successfully translates into "ping hostname.domainname" on
> your network.

With dhcp and no resolving for local host names other than from what's
in /etc/hosts because the name server is only caching?

>> install bind, set it up and check if it works.  Then turn off DHCP
>> unless you really must have it and give all the computers on your LAN
>> their unique names and IPs.  Use only the name servers you have set up
>> yourself (which is probably only one) and make all clients use those
>> and no other ones.
>
> I'd say, if you're installing BIND, then run a DHCP server on that same
> computer, and disable any other DHCP servers on your LAN (such as in
> your modem/router).  Configure your DHCP server to tell all clients on
> your network the addresses for configuring your network (gateway, DNS
> servers, etc.).  Then leave NetworkManager running normally, without any
> manual configuration on each client.
>
> That gets you a normal running network, where each client is centrally
> configured from one server.  There's no messing around with any client
> configuration on any client.
>
> You can have dynamic or static IPs, for your clients, this way.  It
> depends on how you configure your DHCP server.

Why waste resources by running all this?  It's not like the IPs would
change and not like networkmanager was needed.  I wouldn't want to have
an obsolete daemon running all the time for nothing, so even if
networkmanager had worked, sooner or later I'd have disabled it.  And
it's not like networkmanager isn't doing anything or it wouldn't have
overwritten my resolv.conf every time I put it back, so it's definitely
a waste of resources.  Unless you have special circumstances in which it
is useful, it is better to disable networkmanager.

--
Fedora 17