NetworkManager-resolv.conf -

Timothy Murphy gayleard at eircom.net
Fri Nov 16 11:01:26 UTC 2012

Tim wrote:

>> So, maybe NetworkManager should change the way it works? I'm not sure.
>
> That's also difficult to answer.  For quite some time, it was clear that
> it was only aimed at the GUI users, as there was only a GUI interface
> for it.  Command line usage came later on.  It is supposedly possible to
> do what people have been wanting to do, with the GUI, if only they
> bothered trying to use it.  It's clear, from many of the discussions,
> that they haven't.

In my view, the action of NM in over-writing /etc/resolv.conf
is completely illogical.
There is no conceivable situation in which this might help.

Also, in my experience NM does NOT get the DNS settings from the server.

I run NM on my Fedora-17/KDE laptop.
Normally this works fine - it has certainly improved greatly over the years.
But if I go out of WiFi range then NM comments out the DNS entries
in /etc/resolv.conf .
However, if I go back in range, it does not add the DNS entries
from /etc/dhcp/dhcpd.conf on the server, where I have

  # option definitions common to all supported networks...
  option domain-name "gayleard.com";
  option domain-name-servers 159.134.237.6,159.134.248.17;

I'm not sure what you mean by "the GUI".
If you mean Network Management Settings, I see nothing there
that would allow me to alter the settings in /etc/resolv.conf .

--
Timothy Murphy
e-mail: gayleard /at/ eircom.net