NetworkManager-resolv.conf -

Timothy Murphy gayleard at eircom.net
Sat Nov 17 12:56:29 UTC 2012

Marko Vojinovic wrote:

> Um, no, NM was an *upgrade* from the network service, since the latter
> doesn't handle wireless interfaces in a reasonable way.

I don't agree.
The network service runs reasonably well with WiFi,
though it is not as convenient as NM.

> If anything,
> the old network service is obsolete, and being used only for special
> cases (headless servers and such).

By you, possibly.

> The vast majority of Fedora users
> are running laptops, netbooks, home/office desktops, various mobile
> devices, etc., all of which are more convenient to use with NM rather
> than the network service. I expect that NM will completely substitute
> the network service in the future.

I hope not.
Occasionally NM does not work,
and it is vital (for me, at least) to have an alternative fall-back.

Most of the problems with NM arise from the lack of proper documentation.
I believe that a lack of documentation not only confuses users.
It can also cause confusion in the minds of developers.

--
Timothy Murphy
e-mail: gayleard /at/ eircom.net