NetworkManager-resolv.conf -

Marko Vojinovic vvmarko at gmail.com
Fri Nov 16 11:48:58 UTC 2012

On Thu, 15 Nov 2012 15:45:54 +0100 lee <lee at yun.yagibdah.de> wrote:
> There should be a clear choice when installing --- and/or by package
> dependencies --- so users can pick what they prefer.

There should also be a default choice, in case the user doesn't know
what to choose. Currently, the default is NM. Experienced users who
instead wish to use the old network service, should be already familiar
with the procedure of disabling NM and enabling network service.

As far as package installation choices, I believe both the old network
service and NM are tied in too deeply with dependencies, and in a
typical setup they both must be installed on the system.

> Currently, networkmanager looks like something somehow put on top of
> what has been used before and doesn't really integrate but messes with
> it, resulting in a mess that yields unexpected results and confuses
> users.  If *either* networkmanager *or* the ifcfg-* files (or
> something else clearly defined and self-contained and documented) was
> used to configure the network, there wouldn't be a mess and users
> won't be confused.

NM actually *uses* the ifcfg-* scripts for the configuration of each
network interface. It can also create new and rewrite existing ifcfg-*
scripts, as needed (usually per user request or when a new network is
discovered).

This was done for compatibility reasons, as well as to allow more
intricate setups where both NM and the old network service would be
active on the same system at the same time (I was running such a setup
some time ago).

A novice user would just run the default setup, with NM controlling all
interfaces, use the GUI to configure NM, and everything would work as
expected, without any confusion. An experienced user should know what
he wants to setup, and how to do it. By definition, an experienced
user should not get confused in setting up networking, or otherwise he
is actually lacking experience.

HTH, :-)
Marko