DNS problems this morning - CORRECTION

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Fri Nov 16 15:36:13 UTC 2012

Tim:
>> I'd say, if you're installing BIND, then run a DHCP server on that
>> same computer, and disable any other DHCP servers on your LAN (such
>> as in your modem/router).  Configure your DHCP server to tell all
>> clients on your network the addresses for configuring your network
>> (gateway, DNS servers, etc.).  Then leave NetworkManager running
>> normally, without any manual configuration on each client.
>>
>> That gets you a normal running network, where each client is
>> centrally configured from one server.  There's no messing around with
>> any client configuration on any client.
>>
>> You can have dynamic or static IPs, for your clients, this way.  It
>> depends on how you configure your DHCP server.

lee:
> Why waste resources by running all this?

If bothering to install a name server, why stop at a half-arsed job?  On
anything more than a two or three machine LAN, it rapidly becomes a
nuisance to maintain hosts files.  Been there, done that, not going to
do it again.

Once done, it's easy enough to have the name server resolve local
machine names (which certainly aids some LAN networking, such as
internal mail, or other internal LAN or external services, new system
installs, and all manner of things become easier when you don't have to
laboriously hand-configure the client).  And it's easy enough to
configure your DHCP server to set client addresses as desired.  It's
even relatively easy enough to tie the DHCP and DNS servers together, so
one updates the other, when devices are added.

I did this years ago, and never had to fudge around with hosts files
again.  Never had to memorise which IPs referred to which machines, as I
could use hostnames on any machine.  Never had to memorise all the
parameters that I'd have to set up into a client's configuration to make
it join the network.  Just plug in the cable and it goes.

> It's not like the IPs would change

Ya think?

You never get guest computers, or get asked to take in someone else's
computer and fix it, or install Linux on it for them?  You never add new
devices?  Some of which really expect DHCP (network printers, gaming
consoles, media devices).  Or had to change some hardware, only to find
that the bastard device wants to be on a 192.168.1.x network rather than
a 192.168.0.x network that you're using, and you have to manually change
everything around, individually, to work past this.

DHCP is a falsedeity-send, not a curse.

--
[tim at localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.27.25-78.2.56.fc9.i686