DNS problems this morning - CORRECTION

lee lee at yun.yagibdah.de
Fri Nov 16 22:55:17 UTC 2012

Reindl Harald <h.reindl at thelounge.net> writes:

> Am 16.11.2012 21:45, schrieb lee:
>> 1.) omit the search option
>> 2.) put a non-existent domain into the search option
>> 3.) put an existing domain into the search option
>>

>> No. 2.) isn't useful
>
> correct
>
>> no. 3.) leads to unexpected results and
>> confusion[1] and therefore isn't very useful, either.  It leads to
>> unexpected results and confusion because who says that when someone does
>> 'ping host' or something similar that they want to refer to any external
>> hosts?
>
> it is designed for people who have tehir own domain and
> even if it is only a named in the local network
>
>> So why specify a search option in this case?
>
> because it does not hurt much and bring you a lot of
> benfits in networks with a local domain, maybe i would
> need a new keyboard this time if i have to type
> "thelounge.net" in any workflow i do (rsync, ssh...)
>
>> [1]: unless it is your own domain, which doesn't apply in this case
>>      because there is none, and there is no name resolution for hosts on
>>      the LAN that would be part of such a domain so that 'ping host'
>>      won't work with 'search example.com' anyway, and that makes
>>      specifying the search option pointless because it will either not
>>      work or only lead to confusion and unexpected results which is why
>>      the OP might not want to use the search option with his
>>      caching-only name server
>
> not really
>
> the only thing that happens is that any name resolution tries
> "nonfq.exmaple.com", i agree that it makes no sense if there
> is no useful domain but the benefits for cases where you have
> one beats the overhead easily

And we are talking here exactly about the case where someone doesn't
have any local domain and no name resolution for the hosts on the LAN
because there is a caching-only name server in use, so I said that the
search option might not be wanted.

If you do have a local domain and named configured accordingly, there
isn't any overhead from specifying the search option, is there?

--
Fedora 17