Grub boot menu after kernel update/install

Mateusz Marzantowicz mmarzantowicz at osdf.com.pl
Tue Nov 20 11:18:22 UTC 2012

On 20.11.2012 10:36, Reindl Harald wrote:

> Am 20.11.2012 09:04, schrieb Mateusz Marzantowicz:
>> I know it's nothing serious but after installing/removing new kernel
>> with yum my boot menu is totally messed up.
>>
>> What I mean here is that after clean install of Fedora (17/18) or after
>> running grub2-mkconfig there are only two "top level" items in grub menu:
>>
>> 1. Fedora
>> 2. Advanced options for Fedora
>>
>> I really like to have only those two items, but every kernel
>> installation adds new items to the menu related to new kernels. Is it a
>> bug or is it just some inconsistency? Why grub2-mkconfig makes order
>> again but simple yum upgrade/distro-sync messes things? How can I fix
>> permanently?
> because yum updates are using grubby as all the years
>
> before and i am thankful because i hate the "advenced options"
> menu and grub2-mkconfig is buggy like hell: try to set
> a grub-password on a remote machine and be happy that it
> requests a password even on a untouched boot because
> grub2-mkconfig is missing the "--unrestricted" in the
> grub-config

Thanks, it explains why shit happens but I think it should be patched or
configured somewhere.
It's user's choice how he wants his boot menu to be organized. I prefer
to have only the latest kernel on the list especially in multi boot
environment where each OS adds few cents to the menu. Then I have this
advanced submenu in case of special boot requirements with more
installed and kept for safety kernels.

I totally don't know about setting up and using grub password because
this kid of security method is IMHO outdated comparing to disk encryption.

Mateusz Marzantowicz