Grub boot menu after kernel update/install

Reindl Harald h.reindl at thelounge.net
Tue Nov 20 11:26:22 UTC 2012

Am 20.11.2012 12:18, schrieb Mateusz Marzantowicz:
> I totally don't know about setting up and using grub password because
> this kid of security method is IMHO outdated comparing to disk encryption

it is not

the reason to set it is prevent unauthorized users to
boot whatever they like or change params in the kernel
line - this is another topic as disk encryption

it is hardly needed if you have locked down boot
from external media and set a BIOS password and
wnat to make 100% sure your machines is only stared
exactly as it is configured

for security cases there is no "this is the solution"
you need to keep in mind ALL SORTS of attack metrics