Looking for a new netbook

fred smith fredex at fcshome.stoneham.ma.us
Tue Nov 20 15:05:16 UTC 2012

On Tue, Nov 20, 2012 at 09:02:02AM -0500, Robert Moskowitz wrote:
> I have to do something about replacing or upgrading my Asus ee701.
>
> So I am looking for a netbook with:
>
> 7-9" screen
> 1Gb mem
> 16Gb storage
> 5hr battery
> < $100
>
> Asus 900?  I can watch ebay and hopefully get one in my price range.
> Dell 1012 is a bit big for my wants.
>
> Others?

Well, I don't know what's available on ebay, having not looked there in
a long time.

I also haven't ever touched a 900, but AFAIK the 901 (of which I do have
one) is the same size/formfactor, so you might find it suited to your
needs if you can find one. It was (one of??) the first computers to use
the 1.6 Ghz Atom processor, which is pretty slow, but probably about the
same as the reduced-clock of the Celery processor that the 900 uses. And
if you can find a 901 that originally came with Linux, it would have 20
gigs of storage rather than 16. There are also some number of folks who
have hacked in bigger SSDs or even tiny 1.8" HD into a 901.

Whatever you settle on, pls drop a note here so we can all congratulate
you!

Fred
                      The eyes of the Lord are everywhere,
                    keeping watch on the wicked and the good.