Looking for a new netbook

fred smith fredex at fcshome.stoneham.ma.us
Tue Nov 20 15:09:04 UTC 2012

On Tue, Nov 20, 2012 at 10:05:16AM -0500, fred smith wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 20, 2012 at 09:02:02AM -0500, Robert Moskowitz wrote:
> > I have to do something about replacing or upgrading my Asus ee701.
> >
> > So I am looking for a netbook with:
> >
> > 7-9" screen
> > 1Gb mem
> > 16Gb storage
> > 5hr battery

Adding on to my own post: when new, the 6600 MAH battery in the 901
was good for (probably, I can't remember exactly) 5-7 hours. When
mine got down to 2 hours I found a 12000 MAH aftermarket replacement
for it, which gives more like 8-10 hours, which is verrrrrry nice!

> > < $100
> >
> > Asus 900?  I can watch ebay and hopefully get one in my price range.
> > Dell 1012 is a bit big for my wants.
> >
> > Others?
>
> Well, I don't know what's available on ebay, having not looked there in
> a long time.
>
> I also haven't ever touched a 900, but AFAIK the 901 (of which I do have
> one) is the same size/formfactor, so you might find it suited to your
> needs if you can find one. It was (one of??) the first computers to use
> the 1.6 Ghz Atom processor, which is pretty slow, but probably about the
> same as the reduced-clock of the Celery processor that the 900 uses. And
> if you can find a 901 that originally came with Linux, it would have 20
> gigs of storage rather than 16. There are also some number of folks who
> have hacked in bigger SSDs or even tiny 1.8" HD into a 901.
>
> Whatever you settle on, pls drop a note here so we can all congratulate
> you!
>
> Fred
> --
> ---- Fred Smith -- fredex at fcshome.stoneham.ma.us -----------------------------
>                       The eyes of the Lord are everywhere,
>                     keeping watch on the wicked and the good.
> --

                         While we were still sinners,
                              Christ died for us.