mounting one usb interface (from 2 identified)

John Wendel jwendel10 at comcast.net
Fri Nov 23 02:08:24 UTC 2012

On 11/22/2012 02:38 PM, Ranjan Maitra wrote:
> On Thu, 22 Nov 2012 15:57:46 -0600 Ranjan Maitra
> <maitra.mbox.ignored at inbox.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Following up on my previous e-mail, I wanted to mention that two usb
>> interfaces are being recognized. Here is the relevant output of
>>
>> % usb-devices
>>
>> T:  Bus=01 Lev=01 Prnt=01 Port=02 Cnt=01 Dev#= 15 Spd=480 MxCh= 0
>> D:  Ver= 2.00 Cls=00(>ifc ) Sub=00 Prot=00 MxPS=64 #Cfgs=  1
>> P:  Vendor=0bb4 ProdID=0c02 Rev=02.22
>> S:  Manufacturer=ARNOVA 10
>> S:  Product=ARNOVA 10
>> S:  SerialNumber=11223344
>> C:  #Ifs= 2 Cfg#= 1 Atr=e0 MxPwr=256mA
>> I:  If#= 0 Alt= 0 #EPs= 2 Cls=08(stor.) Sub=06 Prot=50
>> Driver=usb-storage
>> I:  If#= 1 Alt= 0 #EPs= 2 Cls=ff(vend.) Sub=42
>> Prot=01 Driver=(none)
>>
>> I want to mount this as a USB storage device, so that i can access the
>> filesystem.
>>
>> Question: How do I mount the first interface?
> Sorry to add to my e-mail, the output of lsusb -v is as follows:
>
> $ lsusb -v -s 001:024
>
> Bus 001 Device 024: ID 0bb4:0c02 High Tech Computer Corp. Dream /
> ADP1 / G1 / Magic / Tattoo (Debug) Couldn't open device, some
> information will be missing Device Descriptor:
>    bLength                18
>    bDescriptorType         1
>    bcdUSB               2.00
>    bDeviceClass            0 (Defined at Interface level)
>    bDeviceSubClass         0
>    bDeviceProtocol         0
>    bMaxPacketSize0        64
>    idVendor           0x0bb4 High Tech Computer Corp.
>    idProduct          0x0c02 Dream / ADP1 / G1 / Magic / Tattoo (Debug)
>    bcdDevice            2.22
>    iManufacturer           1
>    iProduct                2
>    iSerial                 3
>    bNumConfigurations      1
>    Configuration Descriptor:
>      bLength                 9
>      bDescriptorType         2
>      wTotalLength           55
>      bNumInterfaces          2
>      bConfigurationValue     1
>      iConfiguration          0
>      bmAttributes         0xe0
>        Self Powered
>        Remote Wakeup
>      MaxPower              256mA
>      Interface Descriptor:
>        bLength                 9
>        bDescriptorType         4
>        bInterfaceNumber        0
>        bAlternateSetting       0
>        bNumEndpoints           2
>        bInterfaceClass         8 Mass Storage
>        bInterfaceSubClass      6 SCSI
>        bInterfaceProtocol     80 Bulk (Zip)
>        iInterface              0
>        Endpoint Descriptor:
>          bLength                 7
>          bDescriptorType         5
>          bEndpointAddress     0x81  EP 1 IN
>          bmAttributes            2
>            Transfer Type            Bulk
>            Synch Type               None
>            Usage Type               Data
>          wMaxPacketSize     0x0200  1x 512 bytes
> [...]
I didn't catch your original email, so please excuse if I answer a
question you didn't ask.

You want to mount a usb device that for some reason doesn't automount?

Try these commands in a console window:

[1] unplug the usb device

[2] > ls /dev

[3] plug in the device

[4] > ls /dev

Now identify the new device in /dev by comparing the output from [2] and
[4].

There should be a new device (probably) named /dev/sd?n - where "?" is a
letter ("a" - "z") and "n" is a number.
There should be multiple devices, the device without a number, and 1 or
more devices, one for each partition
in the devices's filesystem. If the device has no partitions, the you
only get /dev/sd?.

On my box, I always get devices "/dev/sdd" and "/dev/sdd1", but it
depends on the storage devices in your system.

This information should also be in /var/log/messages.

If a new device doesn't appear in /dev, then someone smarter than me
will be required.

[5] > mkdir <some-directory>  -  I usually do > mkdir X

[6] > sudo mount /dev/sd?n  (or /dev/sd?) <some-directory>

If it fails to mount, then you should check the mount manpage for some
options that might help ( -t ), but
mount usually does the right thing.

You could also post the output of [6] to this list and someone will
figure it out.

Regards,

John