mounting one usb interface (from 2 identified)

Ranjan Maitra maitra at iastate.edu
Fri Nov 23 02:41:21 UTC 2012

Hi John,

Thanks for helping out!

On Thu, 22 Nov 2012 18:08:24 -0800 John Wendel <jwendel10 at comcast.net>
wrote:

> [...]
> >        Remote Wakeup
> >      MaxPower              256mA
> >      Interface Descriptor:
> >        bLength                 9
> >        bDescriptorType         4
> >        bInterfaceNumber        0
> >        bAlternateSetting       0
> >        bNumEndpoints           2
> >        bInterfaceClass         8 Mass Storage
> >        bInterfaceSubClass      6 SCSI
> >        bInterfaceProtocol     80 Bulk (Zip)
> >        iInterface              0
> >        Endpoint Descriptor:
> >          bLength                 7
> >          bDescriptorType         5
> >          bEndpointAddress     0x81  EP 1 IN
> >          bmAttributes            2
> >            Transfer Type            Bulk
> >            Synch Type               None
> >            Usage Type               Data
> >          wMaxPacketSize     0x0200  1x 512 bytes
> >          bInterval               0
> >        Endpoint Descriptor:
> >          bLength                 7
> >          bDescriptorType         5
> >          bEndpointAddress     0x02  EP 2 OUT
> >          bmAttributes            2
> >            Transfer Type            Bulk
> >            Synch Type               None
> >            Usage Type               Data
> >          wMaxPacketSize     0x0200  1x 512 bytes
> >          bInterval               1
> >      Interface Descriptor:
> >        bLength                 9
> >        bDescriptorType         4
> >        bInterfaceNumber        1
> >        bAlternateSetting       0
> >        bNumEndpoints           2
> >        bInterfaceClass       255 Vendor Specific Class
> >        bInterfaceSubClass     66
> >        bInterfaceProtocol      1
> >        iInterface              0
> >        Endpoint Descriptor:
> >          bLength                 7
> >          bDescriptorType         5
> >          bEndpointAddress     0x83  EP 3 IN
> >          bmAttributes            2
> >            Transfer Type            Bulk
> >            Synch Type               None
> >            Usage Type               Data
> >          wMaxPacketSize     0x0040  1x 64 bytes
> >          bInterval               0
> >        Endpoint Descriptor:
> >          bLength                 7
> >          bDescriptorType         5
> >          bEndpointAddress     0x04  EP 4 OUT
> >          bmAttributes            2
> >            Transfer Type            Bulk
> >            Synch Type               None
> >            Usage Type               Data
> >          wMaxPacketSize     0x0200  1x 512 bytes
> >          bInterval               0
> >

> > All I want to do is to be able to mount the usb as a storage device and
> > then edit files in it.
> >
> > Many thanks again and best wishes,
> > Ranjan
> >
> I didn't catch your original email, so please excuse if I answer a
> question you didn't ask.
>
> You want to mount a usb device that for some reason doesn't automount?
>
> Try these commands in a console window:
>
> [1] unplug the usb device
>
> [2] > ls /dev
>
> [3] plug in the device
>
> [4] > ls /dev
>
> Now identify the new device in /dev by comparing the output from [2] and

The output differs by sdb and sdc

> There should be a new device (probably) named /dev/sd?n - where "?" is a
> letter ("a" - "z") and "n" is a number.
> There should be multiple devices, the device without a number, and 1 or
> more devices, one for each partition
> in the devices's filesystem. If the device has no partitions, the you
> only get /dev/sd?.
>
> On my box, I always get devices "/dev/sdd" and "/dev/sdd1", but it
> depends on the storage devices in your system.
>
> This information should also be in /var/log/messages.

This matches the information above:

Nov 22 20:27:18 kharkai kernel: [25927.936207] sd 27:0:0:0: [sdb]
Attached SCSI removable disk
Nov 22 20:27:18 kharkai kernel:
[25927.937450] sd 27:0:0:1: [sdc] Attached SCSI removable disk

> If a new device doesn't appear in /dev, then someone smarter than me
> will be required.
>
> [5] > mkdir <some-directory>  -  I usually do > mkdir X

mkdir /mnt/myusb

> [6] > sudo mount /dev/sd?n  (or /dev/sd?) <some-directory>
>
> If it fails to mount, then you should check the mount manpage for some
> options that might help ( -t ), but
> mount usually does the right thing.

sudo mount  /dev/sdb /mnt/myusb

yields the error:

mount: /dev/sdb: mount failed: Invalid argument

(same with /dev/sdc)

Not sure what to use with the -t argument. Here is the output of

sudo mount -l

$ sudo mount -l
proc on /proc type proc (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime)
sysfs on /sys type sysfs (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,seclabel)
devtmpfs on /dev type devtmpfs
(rw,nosuid,seclabel,size=1001772k,nr_inodes=250443,mode=755) devpts
on /dev/pts type devpts
(rw,nosuid,noexec,relatime,seclabel,gid=5,mode=620,ptmxmode=000) tmpfs
on /dev/shm type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,nodev,seclabel) tmpfs on /run type
tmpfs (rw,nosuid,nodev,seclabel,mode=755) /dev/sda2 on / type ext4
(rw,relatime,seclabel,data=ordered) [_Fedora-17-x86_6] securityfs
on /sys/kernel/security type securityfs
(rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime) selinuxfs on /sys/fs/selinux type
selinuxfs (rw,relatime) tmpfs on /sys/fs/cgroup type tmpfs
(rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,seclabel,mode=755) cgroup
on /sys/fs/cgroup/systemd type cgroup
(rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,release_agent=/usr/lib/systemd/systemd-cgroups-agent,name=systemd)
cgroup on /sys/fs/cgroup/cpuset type cgroup
(rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,cpuset) cgroup
on /sys/fs/cgroup/cpu,cpuacct type cgroup
(rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,cpuacct,cpu) cgroup
on /sys/fs/cgroup/memory type cgroup
(rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,memory) cgroup
on /sys/fs/cgroup/devices type cgroup
(rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,devices) cgroup
on /sys/fs/cgroup/freezer type cgroup
(rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,freezer) cgroup
on /sys/fs/cgroup/net_cls type cgroup
(rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,net_cls) cgroup
on /sys/fs/cgroup/blkio type cgroup
(rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,blkio) cgroup
on /sys/fs/cgroup/perf_event type cgroup
(rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,perf_event) systemd-1
on /proc/sys/fs/binfmt_misc type autofs
(rw,relatime,fd=26,pgrp=1,timeout=300,minproto=5,maxproto=5,direct)
configfs on /sys/kernel/config type configfs (rw,relatime) mqueue
on /dev/mqueue type mqueue (rw,relatime,seclabel) tmpfs on /media type
tmpfs (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,seclabel,mode=755) hugetlbfs
on /dev/hugepages type hugetlbfs (rw,relatime,seclabel) debugfs
on /sys/kernel/debug type debugfs (rw,relatime) /dev/sda5 on /home type
ext4 (rw,relatime,seclabel,data=ordered) [/usr/local1] /dev/sda6
on /usr/local type ext4 (rw,relatime,seclabel,data=ordered) fusectl
on /sys/fs/fuse/connections type fusectl (rw,relatime) gvfs-fuse-daemon
on /run/user/maitra/gvfs type fuse.gvfs-fuse-daemon
(rw,nosuid,nodev,relatime,user_id=1000,group_id=1000)