netbook vs tablet

Robert Moskowitz rgm at htt-consult.com
Fri Nov 23 18:54:41 UTC 2012

On 11/23/2012 01:37 PM, Alan Cox wrote:
>> Fedora 17?  The page I reference seems to have F17 working somewhat
>> better than you report.
> With a keyboard permanently attached ...
>
>> I might as well stay with Android.  I actually have to start working
>> with it for my day job.  I work for Verizon Enterprise Systems and my
>> research is leading me to working on some product development. Sigh.  I
>> LIKE research; kind of like Medcalf back at Xerox....
> One of the problems with trying to drop Linux onto most tablets is the
> complete lack of a real disk subsystem, just slow SD card interfaces.
> That really hurts although it can still be usable.

hmmm.

On my ee701 (4Gb SSD), I had used a 8Gb SD card for most of f12, then
f14.  It worked well enough.  WIth f17, I jumped to a 16Gb SD; it was a
cheap one and perhaps that is why it failed in constant use?  My layout
has /boot, /var, and swap on the SSD and everything else on the SD
card.  This time I am going to set it so that I fit everything on the
SSD drive; that is going to be quite a slimmed down install.  Instead of
a 1.5Gb swap (1Gb memory). I will go with something just over 1Gb so
hopefully hibernate still works.  But perhaps again for what I use it
for, a 5Gb swap is ok and forget hibernate all together as suspend does
work.