netbook vs tablet

Jim binarynut at comcast.net
Fri Nov 23 19:39:23 UTC 2012

> On 11/23/2012 01:37 PM, Alan Cox wrote:
>>> Fedora 17?  The page I reference seems to have F17 working somewhat
>>> better than you report.
>> With a keyboard permanently attached ...
>>
>>> I might as well stay with Android.  I actually have to start working
>>> with it for my day job.  I work for Verizon Enterprise Systems and my
>>> research is leading me to working on some product development. Sigh.  I
>>> LIKE research; kind of like Medcalf back at Xerox....
>> One of the problems with trying to drop Linux onto most tablets is the
>> complete lack of a real disk subsystem, just slow SD card interfaces.
>> That really hurts although it can still be usable.
>
> hmmm.
>
> On my ee701 (4Gb SSD), I had used a 8Gb SD card for most of f12, then
> f14.  It worked well enough.  WIth f17, I jumped to a 16Gb SD; it was
> a cheap one and perhaps that is why it failed in constant use?  My
> layout has /boot, /var, and swap on the SSD and everything else on the
> SD card.  This time I am going to set it so that I fit everything on
> the SSD drive; that is going to be quite a slimmed down install.
> Instead of a 1.5Gb swap (1Gb memory). I will go with something just
> over 1Gb so hopefully hibernate still works.  But perhaps again for
> what I use it for, a 5Gb swap is ok and forget hibernate all together
> as suspend does work.

I have a Asus 1000 that came with Linux on it , it had 32gb SSD I
upgraded it to 64gb SSD.
I use mine more than I use my Laptop or PC and I have upgraded it with
Fedora since F10. And it is the reason I won't buy a Tablet.
The Mini's are cheaper than a Tablet, 1/2 to 1/3 .
These Tablets are waste of money, I don't understand why people jump on
the wagon just to be like their friends.

My most fun is when a friend pulls out a iphone and I pull out my Galaxy
SII with that larger screen on them, and say THIS !!! is a real cell phone.