netbook vs tablet

Gary Stainburn gary.stainburn at ringways.co.uk
Mon Nov 26 10:29:41 UTC 2012

On Friday 23 November 2012 19:39:23 Jim wrote:
> I have a Asus 1000 that came with Linux on it , it had 32gb SSD I
> upgraded it to 64gb SSD.
> I use mine more than I use my Laptop or PC and I have upgraded it with
> Fedora since F10. And it is the reason I won't buy a Tablet.
> The Mini's are cheaper than a Tablet, 1/2 to 1/3 .
> These Tablets are waste of money, I don't understand why people jump on
> the wagon just to be like their friends.

It's horses for courses. I have an ASUS which I keep in my travel bag and use
quite often. This runs Linux.

I also have a Galaxy SII and a Galaxy Tab which I use most as they're quicker.
I have VPN, SSH and VNC on both my phone and my tab and use both for work.
The phone is most convenient as I always have it on me, the Tab is just
easier to use cos of it's size.

The ASUS is effecively a full workstation so I use that for doing serious work
(other than just remote connectivity)

I haven't even considered putting Linux on the Tab as that to me would be a
backword step. Android is the best platform for the Tab, Linux is the best
platform for the ASUS. That simple really.

> My most fun is when a friend pulls out a iphone and I pull out my Galaxy
> SII with that larger screen on them, and say THIS !!! is a real cell phone.

Yeah, I like that bit too.

--
Gary Stainburn
Group I.T. Manager