UEFI is a POS

Gary Kline kline at thought.org
Sat Nov 24 01:49:57 UTC 2012

On Fri, Nov 23, 2012 at 12:32:25PM -0800, Edik Landaveri wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 23, 2012 at 08:27:55AM -0600, Michael Cronenworth wrote:
> Gary,
>
> Installing a desktop environment & unistalling other shouldn't have had to screw up your boot sector. I think what you did is inadvertdly changed your bios settings. If it was working before and after that no. Do you remember having played with the BIOS settings? You can disable EFI on the BIOS if you wish. Maybe that's how was installed and then you changed. Once in a while I have a similar issue which I pinpointed to be the same, so I go back && change it to defaults & it works.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Edik

	I didnt meant to ignore your email!  yes, of course I messed around
	with the BIOS on f-17.  just not quite sure what I was doing.  ive
	got the newst Fedora 17 CD and have found the DVD ... so I'm all
	set.  wHether Mike's mods to the /boot directory or your suggestion
	to alter the BIOS is better is a "dontcare" in engineering terms.
	I just want something that *works* until this bug is fixed.  until
	then, this IEFI is a serious POS.

	the tech I hired did the initial install; he mentioned having to
	much around with "something".  When i booted up my CD , I pressed
	F12 and got a screen with three options.  I chose the most
	familiar: BIOS.  I didnt see the EFI listed in the BIOS.  THat
	seriously may be the way to fix this problem.  I dont remember
	what I did in the BIOS, But it's worth a reboot!

	-gary

> --

              Twenty-six years of service to the Unix community.