Using HDMI with Radeon and fc17

Alan Cox alan at lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk
Sun Nov 25 11:21:32 UTC 2012

> What is the native resolution of the HDTV?  As far as I know, Xorg
> defaults to an extend display setup when booted with multiple displays
> connected.  Also it doesn't do well with unequally sized displays.  I'm
> thinking maybe the HDTV resolution is much larger than the two regular
> displays, and the greeter happens to fall on a region outside of all the
> displays.

That shouldn't happen.

With HDMI attached I get a gdm on each monitor and the display set to
1920x1080 (HDMI 1080p). That's what I'd expect unless I altered the
system configuration.

When I log in I can then juggle the display around to have a single big
display. Most of the desktops handle this fine although Gnome 3 has some
annoying breakage on rotated desktops.

So it ought to all work.

One thing to try if the greeter seems to be the problem is to login in
comamnd line mode and type "startx"

that'll take you directly into the desktop