Using HDMI with Radeon and fc17

Suvayu Ali fatkasuvayu+linux at gmail.com
Sun Nov 25 09:14:55 UTC 2012

Disclaimer: I have never used HDMI with Fedora myself.

On Sat, Nov 24, 2012 at 10:27:43PM -0500, Alex wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a new fc17 x86_64 install with a Radeon HD5700 and the default
> xorg drivers included with fc17. I have an HDTV connected to the HDMI
> port and two monitors connected to each of the DVI ports.
>
> When I start Xorg with the HDTV connected, just the default fc17
> splash screen graphic is displayed on all three monitors with
> apparently either no window manager running, or no visible method of
> access the standard menus. The mouse is displayed, but the buttons
> have no function and there is no menubar at the top.

What is the native resolution of the HDTV?  As far as I know, Xorg
defaults to an extend display setup when booted with multiple displays
connected.  Also it doesn't do well with unequally sized displays.  I'm
thinking maybe the HDTV resolution is much larger than the two regular
displays, and the greeter happens to fall on a region outside of all the
displays.

You mention that you do not see anything in the logs; which logs did you
check?  Usually I check /var/log/Xorg.0.log.  In any case, what I would
do is boot in dual display mode (without the HDTV), login and check the
output of `xrandr -q'.  Connect the HDTV, look at the output again.
Then you can use xrandr to tune your setup and see if things work.

Hope this helps somehow.

--
Suvayu