Brother HL5250 vs. Cups (Again)

fred smith fredex at fcshome.stoneham.ma.us
Tue Nov 27 02:31:36 UTC 2012

On Mon, Nov 26, 2012 at 10:51:18AM -0800, Jonathan Ryshpan wrote:
> On Mon, 2012-11-26 at 13:22 -0500, fred smith wrote:

> > I have a Brother HL2070N, which is single-sided. Never see that problem.
> > Sounds like a PostScript error to me, so I wonder if the app is generating
> > invalid PostScript that is causing GhostScript to choke. Not sure how it
> > would be related to the specific printer, were that the case.
>
> Till recently I used a Brother HL-1440 without problems.  This printer
> (I think) understands the HP PCL4 control language.  The HL-5240DN
> understands a variety of control languages:
> 	PCL6, BR-Script 3 (PostScript® 3™), Epson FX-850, IBM ProPrinter XL
> to be exact.  The driver I'm using appears to send postscript to the
> printer.  It is identified in the printer control website
> (http://localhost:631/admin) as:
> 	Brother HL-5250DN BR-Script3 (grayscale, 2-sided printing)
>
> I don't think it's GhostScript (tm) that's choking but rather the
> printer itself, though I may be wrong here.  Any ideas on how to
> investigate?

Um,... try choosing a different driver, one of the ones that Cups
provides, or one of the foomatic drivers, and see how they work.
Or try a generic PCL or PostScript driver and see what happens.

If the printer is receiving the PS and is choking on it, it may be
that you could avoid that by using one of its other "personalities",
e.g. PCL3/PCL5/whatever instead (as mentioned above).

    community.
 --Roger Ebert, December, 1996