Brother HL5250 vs. Cups (Again)

Jonathan Ryshpan jonrysh at pacbell.net
Tue Nov 27 15:46:14 UTC 2012

On Mon, 2012-11-26 at 21:31 -0500, fred smith wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 26, 2012 at 10:51:18AM -0800, Jonathan Ryshpan wrote:

> Um,... try choosing a different driver, one of the ones that Cups
> provides, or one of the foomatic drivers, and see how they work.
> Or try a generic PCL or PostScript driver and see what happens.
>
> If the printer is receiving the PS and is choking on it, it may be
> that you could avoid that by using one of its other "personalities",
> e.g. PCL3/PCL5/whatever instead (as mentioned above).

A good idea.  I've tried the 5 printers suggested by
system-config-printer for this model printer with the following results.
(Testing all the 3767 drivers in the Foomatic database seems a little
excessive.)

Brother-HL-5250DN BR-Script3
	Double sided printing FAILS
Brother-HL-5250DN Foomatic/Postscript
	Double sided printing FAILS
Brother-HL-5250DN Foomatic/lj5gray
	Driver FAILS completely (see below for error message)
Brother-HL-5250DN Foomatic/pxlmono
	Double sided printing WORKS
	Page download so slow as to be unusable
Generic PostScript Printer Foomatic/Postscript
	Double sided printing FAILS

Attempting to print the test page for the Foomatic/lj5gray driver
produces this output on the printer:

PCL XL error
	Subsystem:	Kernel
	Error:		ExtraData