Brother HL5250 vs. Cups (Again)

fred smith fredex at fcshome.stoneham.ma.us
Tue Nov 27 15:50:09 UTC 2012

On Tue, Nov 27, 2012 at 07:46:14AM -0800, Jonathan Ryshpan wrote:
> On Mon, 2012-11-26 at 21:31 -0500, fred smith wrote:

> > Um,... try choosing a different driver, one of the ones that Cups
> > provides, or one of the foomatic drivers, and see how they work.
> > Or try a generic PCL or PostScript driver and see what happens.
> >
> > If the printer is receiving the PS and is choking on it, it may be
> > that you could avoid that by using one of its other "personalities",
> > e.g. PCL3/PCL5/whatever instead (as mentioned above).
>
> A good idea.  I've tried the 5 printers suggested by
> system-config-printer for this model printer with the following results.
> (Testing all the 3767 drivers in the Foomatic database seems a little
> excessive.)
>
> Brother-HL-5250DN BR-Script3
> 	Double sided printing FAILS
> Brother-HL-5250DN Foomatic/Postscript
> 	Double sided printing FAILS
> Brother-HL-5250DN Foomatic/lj5gray
> 	Driver FAILS completely (see below for error message)
> Brother-HL-5250DN Foomatic/pxlmono
> 	Double sided printing WORKS
> 	Page download so slow as to be unusable
> Generic PostScript Printer Foomatic/Postscript
> 	Double sided printing FAILS
>
> Attempting to print the test page for the Foomatic/lj5gray driver
> produces this output on the printer:
>
> PCL XL error
> 	Subsystem:	Kernel
> 	Error:		ExtraData
> 	Operator:	0xc1
> 	Position:	7
>
> Thanks to all - jon

SIGH!

Have you tried talking to Brother about the original issue when using
their driver?

Oh, have you also checked to see if they have a firmware update for
that printer?

and as much as I hate to even think this word, have you tried to see if
the printer (and the appropriate Brother driver) works properly on Windoze?