Need help with minimal install on ee701

Robert Moskowitz rgm at htt-consult.com
Tue Nov 27 03:03:06 UTC 2012

On 11/26/2012 08:23 AM, Andras Simon wrote:
> 2012/11/26, Robert Moskowitz <rgm at htt-consult.com>:
>> On 11/26/2012 07:08 AM, Andras Simon wrote:
> [...]
>>> Or switch to an external monitor.
>> I tired that too, but the ee701 will not switch into a different
>> resolution even with an external monitor.  At least during the install
>> screens.
> With the last Fedora (F15) I installed  on an eee 701, switching to an
> external monitor solved this problem. It looked ugly because of the
> low resolution, but everything fit on the screen. Maybe this has
> changed recently.

Maybe it was because of the KVM between the system and monitor?  Too
much effort to unplugg the monitor from the KVM.

Anyway, I completed my 1st and 2nd successful install.  And there will
be one more before I get the partitioning at its 'best'.

Right now I have a 300Mb /boot and 768Mb swap leaving ~2.7Gb for /. I
figured out the magic to get into customize the setup and then how to
select options.  I deselected everything I could and DID get gnome
installed with 320Mb left open.  But this is not enough to get VLC
installed to view an mp4 file.  Can't figure out how to get Totem to
view an mp4.  What else is out there?

Anyway it was time to hit the road to go to a corp meeting tomorrow
(drive from Detroit to Chicago), so now everything is on hold until
wednesday when I willl cut /boot to 200Mb and swap to 512Mb.  I figure
that additional 356Mb will do it.

But like I indicated, a smaller mp4 viewer would do the trick too.

Been a learning experience.