Need help with minimal install on ee701

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Tue Nov 27 07:21:10 UTC 2012

On Mon, 2012-11-26 at 22:03 -0500, Robert Moskowitz wrote:
> I deselected everything I could and DID get gnome installed with 320Mb
> left open.  But this is not enough to get VLC installed to view an mp4
> file.  Can't figure out how to get Totem to view an mp4.

Totem makes use of the gstreamer codecs.  Though you may need to install
all the good, bad, and ugly plugins packages.  Do a search for
gstreamer-plugins to see which are available, and if you can narrow it
down to the ones you want (the "good" package seems to be the right
one).  But it may need more space than you have available.

> What else is out there?

There's mplayer (command line), and smplayer (a GUI for it).  Mplayer,
and its codecs, manage to play just about anything I try.

--
[tim at localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.27.25-78.2.56.fc9.i686

read messages from the public lists.