kernel private key

JD jd1008 at gmail.com
Tue Nov 27 20:38:06 UTC 2012

On 11/27/2012 01:21 PM, Jared K. Smith wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 27, 2012 at 12:13 AM, Eddie G. O'Connor Jr.
> <eoconnor25 at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Might this be the "UEFI" thing that I've been reading up about? I
>> myself don't even understand how it works, but this sounds like
>> something that MIGHT be related to that?...just my opinion....
> Yes, as I understand it the kernel key is used for module signing. The
> most obvious new use for module signing is Secure Boot, so that the
> kernel will only load modules signed with its key. -- Jared Smith
If what you say is true, then the kernel config option
CONFIG_MODVERSIONS which is used for:
"Usually, you have to use modules compiled with your kernel.
  Saying Y here makes it sometimes possible to use modules
  compiled for different kernels, by adding enough information
  to the modules to (hopefully) spot any changes which would
  make them incompatible with the kernel you are running. If
  unsure, say N."

will have to be removed