kernel private key

James Wilkinson fedora at aprilcottage.co.uk
Tue Nov 27 21:57:36 UTC 2012

JD wrote:
> If what you say is true, then the kernel config option
> CONFIG_MODVERSIONS which is used for:
> "Usually, you have to use modules compiled with your kernel.
>  Saying Y here makes it sometimes possible to use modules
>  compiled for different kernels, by adding enough information
>  to the modules to (hopefully) spot any changes which would
>  make them incompatible with the kernel you are running. If
>  unsure, say N."
>
> will have to be removed

Module signing is not going to be a mandatory part of building the Linux
kernel (not least because it slows down the process of building kernels,
which is something kernel developers do a lot.)

Even if the modules are signed, that doesn’t mean that the kernel will
necessarily check the signatures. For example,
https://lwn.net/Articles/470906/ says that “the option of building a
kernel that will only allow modules that have been cryptographically
signed to be loaded …  has been running in Fedora and RHEL kernels for
years.”

I presume that this option will be forced on if you’re booting in Secure
Boot mode, otherwise you will be able to enable it with something like
enforcemodulesig=1 on the kernel command line.

Hope this helps,

James.

--
E-mail:     james@ | A: Because people don’t normally read bottom to top.
aprilcottage.co.uk | Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?