[F18] How do I set "browse" as the default open type in nautilus?

Alexander Volovics a.volovic at upcmail.nl
Wed Nov 28 21:05:27 UTC 2012

On Wed, 28 Nov 2012 12:08:12 -0600
Thomas Cameron <thomas.cameron at camerontech.com> wrote:

> > Looks like Gnome is doing the same thing that Microsoft did after XP. I
> > can no longer set nautilus so that when I double click on a directory,
> > it opens up with the filesystem tree in the left pane, and the contents
> > of my directory in the right pane in *list* view. I used to be able to
> > set a checkbox for 'always open in browse mode" or something similar,
> > but I can't find that in F18 beta.
> >
> > Is that option still around? Where is it hiding

Have you really looked closely at the options in 'Preferences'
and/or the local config.
The only substantial change in nautilus (Fed18) with respect to
nautilus (fed 17) is the missing 'Extra pane' option.

If you choose 'list view' you get the folders in the left pane
and the content in list view in the right pane, etc.
If you want a more detailed 'tree' you can always open a second
nautilus window instead of the 'extra pane'.

I can't remember ever having seen something like 'always open in browse
mode'. Do you mean 'thumbnail view' and/or 'text in icons'. Both are
still available and you can change the size.

Alexander