[F17 KDE] Sound cutting out

Rex Dieter rdieter at math.unl.edu
Thu Nov 29 11:13:48 UTC 2012

Lists wrote:

> So I have pithos installed (an excellent Pandora client that skips all
> that nasty flash stuff http://kevinmehall.net/p/pithos/) and Skype.
> Whenever Skype makes a sound, it cuts out all other system sounds, plays
> the sound, and then the rest of the system sounds resume.
>
> I didn't have this problem with Fedora 16 doing the same thing with the
> same programs (though I'm using an updated Skype client)
>
> Skype is set to use PulseAudio server (local) and there's no option to
> change to anything else.

It's possible skype is erroneously(?) using the pulseaudio corking feature
when playing it's audio.  ie, normally you want your other audio to stop to
take a call, for example.  see also,
http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/pulseaudio-discuss/2011-
June/010300.html

To disable that feature,
edit /etc/pulse/default.pa and comment-out the line referencing
load-module module-role-cork

-- rex