Disabling NetworkManager

Alex mysqlstudent at gmail.com
Thu Nov 29 22:01:47 UTC 2012

Hi,

>> How do I properly disable NetworkManager so applications don't think
>> my wired network is offline?
>
> First, do a
>
>   systemctl stop NetworkManager.service
>   systemctl mask NetworkManager.service
>
> Get well informed about the mask command in "man systemctl".

Awesome, that fixed it, thanks.

> Then, configure properly the wired network interface to use the old
> network service (most notably, pay attention to "NM_CONTROLLED" keyword
> in /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-<yourwiredinterface>).

It was already set for ifcfg-p22p1, so I've added it to ifcfg-br0.

> Finally, when everything is set up properly, do a
>
>   systemctl enable network.service
>   systemctl restart network.service
>
> or do a "start" instead of "restart" if it is not active already.

Yes, this I had already done. Networking was working; it was just
applications that seem to be dependant upon NetworkManager control.

>> My network is then functional, but Evolution and sometimes Firefox
>> complain the network is stopped yet still enabled. If I disable it
>> with systemctl entirely, Xorg crashes with the following:
>
> What do you mean by "entirely"? How exactly did you disable it?

I just meant I used both "stop" and "disable".

>> Any ideas of how to properly disable NetworkManager so applications
>> don't stop working?
>
> All apps should work, regardless of NM or network.service being active,
> as long as everything is configured so that the latter two don't clash
> into each other. If Xorg or other things crash, it's a separate issue.

We'll see if it happens again with Xorg next time I restart.
Unbelievable it would seem so reliant upon NM. There are thousands of
/var/spool/abrt directories, all from the same login.

> Make sure that NM is masked and network.service is correctly configured
> and operational. After that, report separately any issues that you might
> have with other apps.

Very helpful, thanks so much. Do you know of a doc that explains the
proper way to set up NM to provide bridging for kvm and virt-manager?

How do I even access the NM network management GUI from within GNOME?
I really hate this new GNOME.

Thanks,
Alex