Disabling NetworkManager

Marko Vojinovic vvmarko at gmail.com
Thu Nov 29 23:48:40 UTC 2012

On Thu, 29 Nov 2012 17:01:47 -0500 Alex <mysqlstudent at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Make sure that NM is masked and network.service is correctly
> > configured and operational. After that, report separately any
> > issues that you might have with other apps.
>
> Very helpful, thanks so much. Do you know of a doc that explains the
> proper way to set up NM to provide bridging for kvm and virt-manager?

No, I don't, sorry. But that doesn't mean that such a doc doesn't
exist. You should google it up or something. I don't know about it only
because I never use Fedora's built-in virtualization software, so I
never needed to configure NM for bridging and stuff...

> How do I even access the NM network management GUI from within GNOME?
> I really hate this new GNOME.

I don't use Gnome (especially not this new one), but you should have an
icon somewhere in the "system tray" (or whatever is equivalent in
Gnome3), showing the status of the network. You can left- or
right-click on it, and use available menus to access any
configuration-related GUI for NetworkManager. I have such a thing in
KDE, so I guess Gnome must have the equivalent functionality. Prior to
Gnome3, that app used to be called "nm-applet". Since Gnome3, I'm not
sure if it was changed or not.

HTH, :-)
Marko