Fedora 17 lost+found in / directory after install

agraham agraham at g-b.net
Thu Oct 4 14:29:45 UTC 2012

On 10/04/2012 03:21 PM, George wrote:
> Hi all. I am a new user of Fedora 17. I am studying for the Linux
> certification.
> I installed Fedora 17 using Vmware Workstation 8. After I completed
> the installation I checked the directories to insure that everything was
> installed correctly. When looking at the / directory using the ls command
> I discovered that /lost+found file was there. I thought that this file
> is supposed
> to show up when you choose a directory as a mount point. Could anyone
> help me understand why this happened and if the lost+found file is not
> supposed
> to be there how can I correct the problem?
>
> Thank you.
>
> George

This is just a default directory created by must unix/linux filesystems
and is usually used to store files that have been recovered due to some
file system repair.

However, you usually won't find this on non unix file systems such as FAT.

http://tldp.org/LDP/Linux-Filesystem-Hierarchy/html/lostfound.html

Albert