Remote Amarok music collection?

Martin Airs martin at airs.me.uk
Thu Oct 4 15:38:09 UTC 2012

On Thursday 04 Oct 2012 16:55:00 Marko Vojinovic wrote:
> Hi folks! :-)
>
> I am trying to migrate from XMMS to Amarok, with the hope of improved
> functionality and ease of dealing with my music collection.
>
> So I have a very trivial problem: my music collection is now on a http
> server. How do I get Amarok to make a collection database out of that,
> short of downloading all that to a local disk? The very point of
> having all the files on a http server is that I *don't* want to have
> them on a local disk. So I want Amarok to create a database of the
> files present on the server, from which I can later create playlists.
> The music would stay on the server, and Amarok would read the files
> over http and play them one by one.
>
> I can do all this trivially with, say, mplayer --- I just need a text
> file containing lines of http://www.myserver.com/music.mp3, and it
> would play if I do a "mplayer -playlist myplaylist.txt". What I want
> is to do the equivalent in Amarok, since I expect to have a better UI
> regarding the order of files, shuffle&repeat stuff, etc.
>
> Amarok doesn't appear to have a "load playlist from a txt file" kind of
> option.
>
> N.B. I've been using Amarok for about 20 minutes total, so please tell
> me that I have missed something really obvious. ;-)
>
> :-)
>
> Marko

Have a look at Ampache (http://ampache.org)

I have mp3's in my OwnCloud, and that uses ampache to serve them to me using
Amarok

I haven't installed ampache as a stand alone thing, but I think with a little
reading of the documentation it shouldn't be too hard, and it'll do what your
after

Amarok supports ampache btw

Hope that helps

Martin