iptables fubared?

Joe Zeff joe at zeff.us
Sun Oct 7 20:27:52 UTC 2012

On 10/07/2012 01:17 PM, Eddie G. O'Connor Jr. wrote:
> On 10/07/2012 04:03 PM, Joe Zeff wrote:
>> On 10/07/2012 12:43 PM, jdow wrote:
>>> Eddie and Joe, there is nothing more frustrating than being in a
>>> critical
>>> hurry while a first string tech support guy rigidly follows the "is it
>>> plugged in" script.
>>
>> Yup!  That's why I always make sure that the member of the phone
>> firewall knows that I have ample experience on their side of the phone
>> and ask them to give me the same level of support they'd want if they
>> were calling in.  More often than not, all goes well after that.
> I agree with both of you, yes it seems that sometimes the helpdesk tech
> is just "going through the motions" and isn't really interested in
> helping you at all....they're just there for the pay check. Then you
> have those "gifted & talented" few......(The ones I like to call the
> "Scotty's" of IT. and if any of you have ever watched the original
> series of Star Trek you'd realize to whom I'm referring!)

It's not so much a matter of only going through the motions, it's more
that most of the hell-desk droids and PFYs don't actually know anything
about the tech and all they're able to do is parrot the cheat-sheets.
Now, you'd be surprised what a good tech can do with cheat-sheets; I
used to get people telling me that it's plain that I must love Macs
because I know so much about them.  Imagine their surprise when I told
them that I've never in my life so much as touched one and was working
strictly from a cheat-sheet.  Of course, it helped that I understood
what was going on and why we were doing things, but I never mentioned
that little bit of info to the callers.

And, as far as Scotty goes, yes, I do remember the Original Star Trek,
first run.  I also know Bjo Trimble, the woman who was responsible for
us getting the third season.