Fedora 17 install dualboot with Windows 7 Home Premium goes nowhere

Ranjan Maitra maitra.mbox.ignored at inbox.com
Thu Oct 11 17:38:30 UTC 2012

On Thu, 11 Oct 2012 17:38:53 +0100 Alan Cox <alan at lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk>
wrote:

> > % grub2-install /dev/sda.    (There is no grub-install)
> >
> > /usr/sbin/grub2-bios-setup: warning: this LDM has no Embedding
> > Partition; embedding won't be possible.
> >
> > /usr/sbin/grub2-bios-setup: warning: Embedding is not
> > possible. GRUB can only be installed in this setup by using
> > blocklists. However, blocklists are UNRELIABLE and their use is
> > discouraged.
> >
> > /usr/sbin/grub2-bios-setup: error: will not proceed with blocklists.
> >
> > Any suggestions?
>
> You need to specify the force option to make it use blocklists.
>
> grub2 is junk, it alone is a good reason to consider moving distro IMHO
> --

Thanks! I did do a --force --recheck and it complained but went through.

So, now I can boot into Linux. The Windows 7 side is still messed up and
I do not understand or know what to do. Unfortunately, I don't know if
the Windows side is going to be much of a help here.

Grub shows two entries for windows 7:

Windows 7 (loader) on (/dev/sda2)
Windows Recovery Environment (loader) (on /dev/sda3)

The first results in:

A disk read error occurred
Press Ctrl+Alt+Del to restart

(This goes back to grub.)

The second gives:

error: device format "ldm-***/Volume2" is invalid: must be f|h|dN with 0
<= N < 128

and we go to the screen for the previous case. The *** is some
alphanumeric code which is pretty long.

Any suggestions? If it was my computer, I would have scrapped the whole
windows side of course. But it is not mine (I was just offering some
free services and I feel bad about damaging the system, or at least not
making sure it dual-boots).

Many thanks again!
Ranjan

--
Important Notice: This mailbox is ignored: e-mails are set to be
deleted on receipt. For those needing to send personal or professional