How can I prevent udevd from renaming eth0 to em1

JD jd1008 at gmail.com
Wed Oct 17 20:39:08 UTC 2012

On 10/17/2012 02:15 PM, Bruno Wolff III wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 17, 2012 at 14:01:25 -0600,
>   JD <jd1008 at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> So, does anyone have any other suggestion how to
>> prevent udevd from renaming eth0 to em1?
>
> Do you have 71-biosdevname.rules in either /etc/udev/rules.d or
> /usr/lib/udev/rules.d ? I expect that would run after the persistant
> name rule and reset things.
>
> I actually have the opposite issue in that I want to use the
> biosdevname names, since eth0 and eth1 have been getting assigned
> randomnly for a while now on one of my machines and the renaming
> ability of the network initscripts seems to have gone away.

Hi Bruno,
Actually, one of the fedoraproject bloggers said that the renaming is
being done
by the biosdevname package. So I uninstalled it and rebooted, to  no avail.
So as of now, I have neither the biosdevname package, nor it's corresponding
rules files.

Then some other blogger suggested adding the line
biosdevname=0
into /boot/grub2/grub.cfg
which I did and rebooted, to  no avail. That was followed by
another OP's suggestion to make an entry into
/etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules like
# PCI device 0x1039:0x0900 (sis900)
SUBSYSTEM=="net", ACTION=="add", DRIVERS=="?*",
ATTR{address}=="edited-out", ATTR{dev_id}=="0x0",
ATTR{type}=="1", KERNEL=="eth*", NAME="eth0"

which I did, and rebooted to no avail.

So, the only recourse I  have left is to try and download the source code of
udevd to see where and why it is renaming eth0 to em1.