Blocked site -

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Sat Oct 20 09:20:54 UTC 2012

On Sat, 2012-10-20 at 04:08 -0400, Bob Goodwin - Zuni, Virginia, USA
wrote:
+AD4 Ok, this is what I see. What is it telling me?
+AD4
+AD4     We detected the 2 DNS servers listed below.
+AD4
+AD4     WARNING: If you are connected to an anonymity/privacy service and
+AD4     ANY of the servers listed below are from your ISP then your DNS is
+AD4     leaking. (You should be able to recognize them based on the hostname
+AD4     and location).
+AD4
+AD4     IP:         184.63.128.68
+AD4     Hostname:   184.63.128.68
+AD4     ISP:        Wildblue Communications
+AD4     Country:    United States
+AD4
+AD4     IP:         184.63.128.69
+AD4     Hostname:   184.63.128.69
+AD4     ISP:        Wildblue Communications
+AD4     Country:    United States
+AD4
+AD4 DNS should be set for opendns 208.67.220.220 and 222. The dns address
+AD4 they provided me six years ago is 12.189.32.61. I don't see either
+AD4 here, just a Wildblue address,different from the one my router thinks
+AD4 it is connected to +AFs-WAN IP: 184.20.151.17+AF0.

Going from what I read of their site, that means that they've figured
out the DNS servers you're getting answers from are the ones listed
above, not the ones that you're hoping to use.  Therefore, your ISP is
acting as a transparent proxy, intercepting all your DNS requests and
answering them, themselves, no matter what you do.

In my case, it comes back with my public IP address.  Which, kind of,
makes sense.  I run my own DNS servers, on my LAN, which is behind a
router doing NAT.

I'd like to know how they're doing their discovery.

I can understand why ISPs might do proxying, though I don't think it's a
brilliant idea (likewise with HTTP proxying).  There's customers that
badly configure their computers, so intercepting is a simplistic way to
work around that.  Some ISPs might try protecting their users from
malicious content on the internet, though they could do that with their
own servers without proxying, allowing you to make your own mind up to
use their censored servers or your own choice of servers.  And some ISPs
are obligated to censor children's access, again they could do that
other ways.

--
+AFs-tim+AEA-localhost +AH4AXQAk uname -rsvp
Linux 3.6.2-4.fc17.x86+AF8-64 +ACM-1 SMP Wed Oct 17 02:43:21 UTC 2012 x86+AF8-64

public lists.