What are the limitations of preupgrade

Gordon Messmer yinyang at eburg.com
Tue Oct 30 23:42:56 UTC 2012

On 10/30/2012 03:48 PM, Bill Davidsen wrote:
> Preupgrade used to be quite limited in capability, and restricted to a
> single version upgrade at a time. I have some systems I would rather not
> upgrade by hand if possible, but they need to go from fc13 to fc17, and
> I'm sure doing it insteps would take more effort on my part than a
> single step and some fixup.

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Upgrading_Fedora_using_yum#Fedora_16_-.3E_Fedora_17

As far as I know, F13 did not get a version of preupgrade that is
capable of upgrading to F17.  Do not attempt to upgrade in one go.
Upgrade to F16 first, then use preupgrade.

If you don't want to step the ladder in that fashion, look carefully at
what is required to prepare your system for the upgrade to F17.