Fedora NTFS-3G happily writes files with invalid chars in filename?

Fernando Cassia fcassia at gmail.com
Sat Sep 1 18:28:50 UTC 2012

Good day... (or not depending on your POV ;)

Situation: I have one 1TB drive in a usb enclosure, formatted ntfs.
On my main Linux system (which runs Fedora 17 with NTFS-3G) I used
this external drive to copy some files from my home dir.

Now I connect the external usb NTFS-formatted drive to my old xpsp3
running netbook and stumble upon a file (a folder actually under
.cache\vlc\art\artistalbum\The Rapture\How Deep is Your Love?
that ABSOLUTELY can´t be removed from WinXP, as windows thinks
question marks are an "invalid character" in a file or folder name.

I guess I´m screwed... needless to say "my love for NTFS" (to answer
´how deep is your love?´ ;-P) is fading every passing minute. ;)

In the end it is the same situation as:
http://superuser.com/questions/31587/how-to-force-windows-xp-to-rename-a-file-with-a-special-character

Since right now I don´t have access to my Fedora 17 desktop where the
files were created, can anyone help me with a little experiment?

1. Create a file or folders on your linux box with question mark in its name
2. plug a ntfs formatted drive into your linux box (have ntfs-3g
enabled with write support)
3. use midnight commander to move or copy such files to the ntfs drive
4. plug the external drive into a windows machine and see if the files
maintain the question mark in its name.

If so, I think this is a ntfs-3g bug! it should NOT allow users to
create file names that later can´t be accessed from windows machines.
Or should at least include some configuration option to let the user
decide what default action to take in such cases (ie, renaming illegal
chars for ntfs to underscores, or something).

Thanks,
FC
Durante épocas de Engaño Universal, decir la verdad se convierte en un
Acto Revolucionario
- George Orwell