Default web browser

Suvayu Ali fatkasuvayu+linux at gmail.com
Sun Sep 2 20:16:30 UTC 2012

Hi Tom,

On Sun, Sep 02, 2012 at 11:30:26AM -0400, Tom Horsley wrote:

> xdg-open open currently appears to go through the file:
>
> /usr/share/applications/mimeinfo.cache
>
> And when several apps are listed for the same mime
> type, it uses the first one in the list.

Strangely, chrome was not listed anywhere in this file!

> I believe (but haven't conducted the experiment
> yet) that you can override the default in your
> own file:
>
> ~/.local/share/applications/mimeapps.list
>
> but I'm not sure the exact format of that file yet.
> It appears to have (at least) two sections:
>
> [Added Associations]
>
> and
>
> [Default Applications]
>
> Maybe if you just copy the line from mimeinfo.cache
> into both sections and re-arrange it so firefox is
> first, that will do it?

I found this file after I had sent my post.  Adding the following line

  text/html=firefox.desktop

in the [Added Associations] section does solve my problem.  Thanks a
lot.

Cheers,

PS: I would really appreciate it if you posted the writeup after you
    were done.  Understanding xdg-open behaviour and options has been a
    long time curiosity for me.

--
Suvayu