Screen resolution

Ian Malone ibmalone at gmail.com
Thu Sep 6 10:39:17 UTC 2012

On 6 September 2012 04:40, Tim <ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au> wrote:
> On Wed, 2012-09-05 at 16:37 +0100, Timothy Murphy wrote:
>> is there any way of requiring web-pages to use larger fonts?
>
> Some web browsers do let you do that.  Those with with the extremely
> minimal user-interface and configuration options mayn't.
>
> However, do this with caution, and test it out.  I've seen pages where
> you increase the size of the fonts, only for them to be cropped off.  As
> the author has specified small fonts constrained inside a fixed-size box
> or a form text-field box, which doesn't enlarge with a bigger font size.
>
> Some browsers change font sizing with a zoom feature, which will also
> increase the graphics size.  That may, or may not, be a desirable
> feature.

Incidentally, if you have a problem with a site like this that you
need to use regularly it's worth emailing them to highlight the
problem and also point them to the W3C accessibility pages
http://www.w3.org/standards/webdesign/accessibility

If you're dealing with a UK company it's a legal requirement for them
to address accessibility (while not completely familiar with the law
on this I think it may apply to all UK sites, however a bank would
probably be more concerned about it than some individual blogger).
http://www.rnib.org.uk/professionals/webaccessibility/lawsandstandards/Pages/uk_law.aspx
Other countries may also have legal requirements for accessibility
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Web_accessibility#Legally_required_web_accessibility

--
imalone
http://ibmalone.blogspot.co.uk