Clams.....

Eddie G. O'Connor Jr. eoconnor25 at gmail.com
Sun Sep 9 15:00:04 UTC 2012

On 09/09/2012 01:11 AM, Roger wrote:
> On 09/09/2012 01:59 PM, Eddie G. O'Connor Jr. wrote:
>> On 09/08/2012 11:40 PM, Roger wrote:
>>> This demonstrates one of the problems Linux generically suffers in
>>> the Desktop world. It demands too much knowledge of the internal
>>> part of the operating system.
>>>
>>> Well, yes and no.
>>> Rather it demands  sufficient knowledge to work on problems as they
>>> occur.
>>> This was discussed many years ago and I have found that the
>>> knowledge and ability to get under the hood and fix things, by far
>>> outweighs the learning one must do to use/control ones computer.
>>>
>>> If I could recommend anything in Linux it would be "Learn to use the
>>> terminal and text commands" They are tools of the trade.
>>> Roger
>> Sound advice indeed....and slowly but surely I'm getting the hang of
>> it....but like......what you just described would have been for
>> me?.....a TOTAL re-installation of EVERYTHING!......
>> I wonder if there's a "manual" with all the commands one might need?
>> And then another question would be: Are the commands different
>> dependent on the distro you use?...will the same commands work in
>> Ubuntu.....Fedora.....Linux Mint......Mandriva etc?
>
>> And I guess THIS is the reason a lot of people won't live
>> Windows....because there's just TOO much information to absorb....at
>> times I almost feel like crawling back into my "Regedit" / "Task
>> Manager" hole and staying there, but after being exposed to Linux I
>> don't think I could EVER allow myself to fall back into that
>> ignorant......close-minded state.
>
>> Soooo......If it means hours upon hours of studying Linux commands
>> then so be it. Eventually I think I'm going to pursue a "cert" in
>> Linux...nothing major just a general cert that can allow me to get my
>> foot in the door,....and in doing so I'm almost 100% certain that
>> I'll need "terminal skills' in order to pass the exams....
>

> Some things to consider:
> With Linux, don't be afraid of a total reinstall, in fact I heartily
> recommend it, getting the practice of installing trashing,
> reinstalling, trying different formatting options, etc as indispensable.
> Having said that, may I also recommend learning the processes of
> backing up, having at the very least, your complete /home directory
> stored somewhere and refreshing it every week or so, all good practice.
> Have your documents, your emails, your images and pictures, spread
> sheets, etc,  saved regularly off the computer.
>
> Manual/s: Google is your friend.  Google knows stuff, Google gives
> freely to those who seek! Google bash commands, Google vim commands,
> Google Linux shell commands.
> To live long and prosper, you need to know about a dozen shell
> commands, maybe not that much even. Others come with time and necessity.
> In Linux we have man pages (manual pages)  man vi, man df, man man. as
> examples. Also info pages, which are newer than man pages.

> [...]
That LAST part?...was HILARIOUS!....As for the other info....I consider
you guys to be MY "Google / MAN Pages" sometimes!...And I apologize for
"using" you all as a crutch for my ignorance, but I'm about to delve
into this wholeheartedly! I've been with Fedora since about 14 and I
NEVER knew what the "yum" stood for...NOW I know...I also never knew
what the "apt" stood for either...but I do NOW! As for backing up...I
have backed up my /home directory every "last" Friday...of the last week
of the month! About those people who refuse to leave
Windows.....well....the greatest "trick" the Devil ever played on people
was getting them to believe he didn't exist!....likewise with Mr.
Gates.....he's hoodwinked corporations and home users alike into
believing they cannot do anything computer-wise without Windows /
Office......guess it's just a mind-game! LoL!

EGO II