Major fsck-up

Junk junk at therobinsonfamily.net
Tue Apr 2 08:59:35 UTC 2013

> Well, I've managed to make matters worse on my desktop.  Before doing a clean install, I decided to clean up my partitions a tad.  There's an old partition that used to be /boot until new requirements made it too small and was just sitting there, unmounted, so I used a LiveCD and Gparted to remove it.  Then, I added it to /home.  Alas, the program hung before completing the job and now, the partition's unrecognizable.  Gparted can't correct it and parted can't read it.  Using e2fsck from a command line tells me that the superblock is wrong, and I can't work out how to find out where to tell me to look.  And, probably because of this, my installation now hangs before it gets far enough for me to get to a CLI.  I do have a reasonably recent backup, if all goes bad, but I'd rather not have to use it.  Does anybody know how to find it, or otherwise recover the partition?  I'm tempted to use touch /forcefsck, to see if that works, but somehow, I doubt it.  Advice, or pointers to suggestions will be very, very welcome.
> --

Firstly, your probably screwed. fsck has one job and that's to make the file system consistent. It's not a disaster recovery tool. All it cares about is that the fs should make sense on next reboot.

Questions that may help find out what went wrong. Which distro are you using and what tools and procedures did you use to "add it to /home"? Is your /home in an LVM?