Major fsck-up

Joe Zeff joe at zeff.us
Tue Apr 2 18:13:32 UTC 2013

On 04/02/2013 01:59 AM, Junk wrote:
> Firstly, your probably screwed. fsck has one job and that's to make the file system consistent. It's not a disaster recovery tool. All it cares about is that the fs should make sense on next reboot.

If it were able to do that, I'd be OK.  PartedMagic can see the data,
and I may be able to copy it from there to a partition on a different drive.

> Questions that may help find out what went wrong. Which distro are you using and what tools and procedures did you use to "add it to /home"? Is your /home in an LVM?

I thought I said: Fedora 17.  No LVM, although I didn't mention that.
As a home user, I don't need to resize things dynamically, and LVM is
the solution to a problem I don't have.