Avoiding LVM -

Tom Horsley horsley1953 at gmail.com
Wed Apr 3 14:33:22 UTC 2013

On Tue, 02 Apr 2013 09:18:47 -0400
Lester M Petrie wrote:

> I like to put /opt and /usr/local on separate partitions also, as that
> way they don't have to be reloaded when I do a fresh install.

I've found that "bind" mounts are your friend.

I've got a SSD system disk with room for a couple of versions
of fedora to be installed in two partitions, Then for things
I want to keep around between upgrades, I make /home a bind
mount to /reallybigdisk/home (as an example).

That way I don't have to decide how to parcel out space
on my "really big disk", I just make bind mounts to
directories on that disk.