Off Topic - Block iCloud -

Cameron Simpson cs at zip.com.au
Wed Apr 10 09:58:22 UTC 2013

On 10Apr2013 05:35, Bob Goodwin - Zuni, Virginia, USA <bobgoodwin at wildblue.net> wrote:
| On 09/04/13 21:07, Cameron Simpson wrote:
| >In fact, that's 1MB per second (12Mbps!) That should be glaringly obvious
| >with trafshow or similar tools. Which will show you the IP and port involved.
|
| Yes and the system sometimes runs a lot faster than specified. I yum
| installed trafshow, never ran across that application before, and it
| works as expected on p4p1 but that not where it needs to be, I need
| to find how to point it at the router traffic. It seems that would
| show me why my efforts so far have not helped?

Well, you could get your DHCP server to make your linux box the
default router. Then set you're linux box's default route to be the
router by hand, and tell it to forward packets:

  echo 1 >/proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward

Then next time the Mac (or whatever) connects to your LAN you should
be able to watch the traffic. Of course, you'll also be burdened
with forwarding all the LAN traffic across your linux box, but for
purposes of debugging.

And of course, Macs are BSD UNIX. Run trafshow there! You might
have to install MacPorts (or Fink or HomeBrew etc) to get trafshow
installed, but any Mac _wants_ that anyway!

And of course you could hand set the default route on the Mac for
debugging purposes just as with any UNIX box, and avoid mucking
with the router DHCP advertisements until you want to frib with
iPhones etc.

Cheers,
--
Cameron Simpson <cs at zip.com.au>

We're supposed to be the guys with Freedom and Democracy right?
Well, how come the Russians get to shell their Parliament and we don't
get to do it to ours?
        Mike Holmes, fofp at festival.ed.ac.uk