Installing texlive under Fedora 17.

Michael Schwendt mschwendt at gmail.com
Thu Apr 11 13:47:12 UTC 2013

On Thu, 11 Apr 2013 21:03:23 +1200, Rolf Turner wrote:

> Under Fedora 17 I recently had problems with running latex on a file that
> previously (under Ubuntu) I had no difficulty with.  (A while back I had to
> switch from Ubuntu to Fedora for reasons that I won't go into here.)
>
> I thought that perhaps I might be able to get rid of the flakiness
> by re-installing texlive.
>
> I downloaded the install-tl-unx.tar.gz tarball from
>
> http://www.tug.org/texlive/acquire.html
>
> unpacked, changed directories appropriately and executed
>
>      ./install.tl
>
> as per instructions.  I got an error message:
> > Can't locate Digest/MD5.pm in @INC (@INC contains: ./tlpkg
> > /usr/local/lib64/perl5 /usr/local/share/perl5
> > /usr/lib64/perl5/vendor_perl /usr/share/perl5/vendor_perl
> > /usr/lib64/perl5 /usr/share/perl5 .) at tlpkg/TeXLive/TLUtils.pm line
> > 199.
> > BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at tlpkg/TeXLive/TLUtils.pm line 199.
> > Compilation failed in require at ./install-tl line 53.
> > BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at ./install-tl line 53.
>
> I looked at line 53 and it is opaque to me.

Do you read from bottom to top? In the first line it says it cannot locate
Perl module Digest/MD5.pm, so that's what you should install first.
Package perl-Digest-MD5 (or whatever includes the needed module). You
may search remove package repositories with Yum or repoquery.

> I am fairly computer/Linux/LaTeX literate, but there are gaping lacunae
> in my knowledge, so please be patient with me.

I would begin with using the TeX Live that is included with Fedora 17,
install optional packages as needed and don't mix with stuff installed
from source.

# yum list texlive\*|wc -l
4770

--
Fedora release 19 (Schrödinger’s Cat) - Linux 3.9.0-0.rc6.git0.1.fc19.x86_64
loadavg: 0.34 0.43 0.24