Fedora vs RHEL

Joe Zeff joe at zeff.us
Sat Apr 13 21:31:38 UTC 2013

On 04/13/2013 02:03 PM, David wrote:
> Smartphones, which work, can do more than a Linux newbie with a broken
> machine. And people in general, or the guy at Best Buy, can correct a
> misbehaving phone or computer running Windows before you can find
> someone to fix a screwed up Linux computer. Hmm... just where might you
> find this Linux repairman anyway?

I don't know about you, but if I were to put a friend or relative onto
Linux (as I did for my sister) I'd be their first-line tech support guy,
but YMMV.

> Since you are here on Fedora I will grant that you are familiar with
> Fedora. You do know that the various distributions are different? Means?
> An*expert*  in Fedora Linux might be / could be lost on a Ubuntu system.
> Or a Mageia system. Or "name goes here' Linux system?

My sister uses Ubuntu.  I have an account at the Ubuntu forums to help
me learn what I need when it's distro-specific.  And, my .sig there
says, in part, "I don't use Ubuntu, I just support it."