Fedora vs RHEL

David dgboles at gmail.com
Sat Apr 13 22:07:06 UTC 2013

On 4/13/2013 5:31 PM, Joe Zeff wrote:
> On 04/13/2013 02:03 PM, David wrote:
>> Smartphones, which work, can do more than a Linux newbie with a broken
>> machine. And people in general, or the guy at Best Buy, can correct a
>> misbehaving phone or computer running Windows before you can find
>> someone to fix a screwed up Linux computer. Hmm... just where might you
>> find this Linux repairman anyway?
>>

> I don't know about you, but if I were to put a friend or relative onto
> Linux (as I did for my sister) I'd be their first-line tech support guy,
> but YMMV.

And when 'you get too old' to help?  :-)

>> Since you are here on Fedora I will grant that you are familiar with
>> Fedora. You do know that the various distributions are different? Means?
>> An*expert*  in Fedora Linux might be / could be lost on a Ubuntu system.
>> Or a Mageia system. Or "name goes here' Linux system?
>
> My sister uses Ubuntu.  I have an account at the Ubuntu forums to help
> me learn what I need when it's distro-specific.  And, my .sig there
> says, in part, "I don't use Ubuntu, I just support it."

I actually know several (nine) 'old time Linux' users and some are ex
Redhat employes as well as commercial (as in paid sys admins) that say
that the Ubuntu list is full of useless information. Much of it flat out
wrong. Careful. The usual tip off, they say, is "Try this. It might work".

All I meant was that befer you 'move someone to Linux', of any kind, you
need to understand that Linux use is still, mostly, limited to 'us geeks'

Here you will see the latest usage numbers.

"OS Platform Statistics and Trends"

<http://www.w3schools.com/browsers/browsers_os.asp>

If you look at the latest numbers, March 2013, you will see that there
are more than two times the number of users of Mac over Linux. I don't
actually know anyone that uses a Mac. Do you? And that the Linux
'number' is *all* of the different Linux distributions.  From the 'A's'
to 'Z's.'

All of which means? IMHO. Linux is cool but not really ready, yet, for
grandma.

Because? When $hit goes bad, or just does not work, with Linux it
actually takes someone that knows what they are doing to fix it. Or
reinstall it so that it works again.

IMHO? Grandma does not want to deal with that. My mother, grandma to my
kids, would not want any part of that if she was still alive.
--

  David