Fedora vs RHEL

Paul W. Frields stickster at gmail.com
Mon Apr 15 21:17:49 UTC 2013

On Mon, Apr 15, 2013 at 10:55:17PM +0200, Reindl Harald wrote:
> Am 15.04.2013 22:49, schrieb Paul W. Frields:
> >> I think we have very different experiences with community distros.
> >> I've run mission and business-critical tasks on community distros
> >> for years and never had a problem, starting with Mandrake back in
> >> the day, then Mandriva, then Fedora, with short episodes of Suse and
> >> Mint.
> > [...snip...]
> >
> > My house has never caught fire yet, but I still have more than the
> > minimal amount of homeowner's insurance required by law
>
> that may be right in this context
>
> but a support contract in the reality does not guarantee that
> every problem you MAY have is solved in a acceptable timeframe
> and mostly support contracts are ending where your setup differs
> from the defaults and if the deafults would satisfy your business
> you mostly would not have the problem which needs to be solved
>
> at the end of the day you oftly realize that a support contract
> doe snot help you in your situation and power the money in more
> redundancy would have been the better solution

What defaults are you talking about?  If I alter the default
configurations for my web server, for example, in no way does that
make it unsupportable by Red Hat.  The kernel, on the other hand, is
specifically chosen and tuned for customers, relentlessly tested,
verified and certified by hardware partners, etc.  Supporting any old
customer-built kernel would be like Ford honoring its warranty on a
Taurus when the car's owner has swapped out the engine block.

Can all problems absolutely be solved, 100% guaranteed?  Probably not,
although I know a lot of support people who really try to make that
true.  But I can probably guarantee you that without support, the
vendor is 100% likely not to solve it. :-)

BTW, I feel like this thread is now talking a lot about Red Hat
support, and going pretty off-topic for helping Fedora users.  But at
the same time, I also feel honor-bound, because Red Hat pays my
salary, to correct what I believe are mistaken impressions.  Apologies
to any who are bored or losing patience.  I will pipe down for now.