how to fully delete user account?

Nalin Dahyabhai nalin at redhat.com
Tue Apr 16 20:43:48 UTC 2013

On Tue, Apr 16, 2013 at 12:52:09PM -0700, William Mattison wrote:
> The language for a user account was set to simplified Chinese.  Not
> what was wanted!  So I thought I could just delete the account and
> re-create it.  I used the Users and Groups GUI to delete the user
> account.  I did check that the home directory for that account was
> gone.  Then I re-created the account with Users and Groups.  When the
> user first tried to log in, everything was in simplified Chinese!  I
> re-tried all this with an added reboot between deleting and
> re-creating the account.  It was still simplified Chinese.  All other
> user accounts are English.  Where is the language preference for that
> one user account "remembered" even after the account is deleted, and
> how do I clear it?  No one here knows enough simplified Chinese to
> read/understand the simplified Chinese menu entries, buttons, prompts,
> messages, application icon labels, etc.  Or how can I as root reset
> that account's preferences back to default without becoming that user?

I think you've already ruled out the user's ~/.i18n file, which is
sourced by /etc/profile.d/lang.sh and lang.csh at login-time, so the
next thing I'd check is the preferences saved by the accounts service.
Check for a configuration file named after the user in
/var/lib/AccountsService/users.

HTH,

Nalin