Fedora vs CentOS -- php/apache and Drupal 7

Roger arelem at bigpond.com
Wed Apr 17 01:44:33 UTC 2013

>> <snip>
>> It made me start thinking about Fedora vs CentOS because of the problems
>> I'm experiencing with Drupal 7 and php/Apache in Fedora 18 so here goes.
>> </snip>
>>

> Hey Roger,
>
> Comparing the two is like comparing apples and oranges.  The two are
> not the same thing.
>
> Fedora is a development system with a short life cycle.  It provides
> cutting edge applications.
>
> CentOS is an enterprise class system with a 10 year life cycle. It
> does not support the most recent versions of software for desktop use.

Thank you to all for the very helpful info.
I have CentOS-6.4-x86_64-minimal.iso downloaded.
My laptop on which I'll do the first install does not have a functioning
dvd drive so it has to be usb install.
I installed Fedora 18 on it this way.
All the info I'm reading says I have to reformat my usb to a fat system,
why? Is there any reason CentOS doesn't use ext formatting?
Also for some reason Brasero now does not burn to usb, I don't remember
how I put the Fedora Iso on the USB.
Also it seems extremely complicated to create  a CentOS usb
installation.
http://ihazem.wordpress.com/2012/02/12/installing-centos-from-usb/
I read that the CentOS people aren't interested in end user but it seems
that end user or non server computers may not have dvd drives for much
longer, making CentOS out of reach of end users.
Seems like it's out of reach for now.
Thanks
Roger